Mixed Grain, Cherry, and Snap Pea Salad
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Serves 8 (serving size: about 1 cup)
Bulgur, quinoa, and brown rice make for a nutty, wonderfully textured grain base in this salad, though you can omit the bulgur and double the quinoa for a gluten-free version. Extra crunch comes from fresh snap peas and red onion. Fresh cherries take the place of cherry tomatoes here—they burst on the tongue with a similar tart-sweet juiciness. If making ahead, add the cherries just before serving so their juices don’t bleed into the grains. If you don’t have white balsamic vinegar, substitute Champagne vinegar or unseasoned rice wine vinegar.
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved (about 10 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut into 1/2-in. pieces (about 6 oz.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 (8.8-oz.) pkg. precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Calories 211
- Fat 8.3g
- Satfat 1.9g
- Monofat 4.3g
- Polyfat 1.2g
- Protein 6g
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Fiber 4g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Iron 2mg
- Sodium 220mg
- Calcium 42mg
- Sugars 6g
- Est. added sugars g
How to Make It
Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high; add bulgur. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Spoon bulgur onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Bring quinoa and remaining 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add quinoa to bulgur on baking sheet; cool to room temperature.
Combine oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine bulgur mixture, cherries, snap peas, onion, mint, and rice in a large bowl. Add oil mixture to bulgur mixture; toss. Sprinkle with goat cheese.